Sunday, November 21, 2010

Consumerism and Children

As the holidays and their rampant consumerism approach, I have noticed an increase in the "I Wants" that come out of our daughter. Specifically, it's about every other commercial on her TV shows that she wants us to buy her.

Now, I can't blame TV entirely for her consumerism. The truth is it stems form several sources. Advertising is only one.

To be honest, our daughter is an only child and is..doted on. We're not extravagant, but it is pretty normal for her to get a small treat when she goes to the store with us. So we are to blame for a lot of it.

Secondly, our daughter's closest friends in school come from pretty wealthy families. One girl she's close to in particular is the only child of a high earning, high consuming couple. Two other girls she likes have parents who buy their kids pretty much whatever they want. They're always bringing the latest trinket or gadget to school.

We don't do that, and I think she has begun to notice. She asks for a lot more things now. When I tell her we don't have money for something, she says, "Just use your credit card!"  (Eeeek! Eeeek! I can hear you all out there in blog land screaming now. Truth is, she doesn't know the difference between a debit and a credit card, she just sees me swiping a piece of plastic.)

So, since we have begun this blog we have used cash or debit only, with a much larger emphasis on cash. I will admit I still pay for some things with debit or checks.

I struggled for a while on how to teach her the basics of personal finance. On a recent business trip I bought her a small, cute, age appropriate wallet. I put two dollars in it.

I brought it home, gave it to her, and explained about her money. I also told her that when we go to stores now she needs to bring her wallet. If she wants something, it will depend on whether or not she has enough cash for it. She was delighted!

So far this seems to go well. She got a $5 bill in the mail from Grandma at Halloween. We put it in her wallet. Later that week we were at a store and she asked me for something in the checkout aisle. I told her she could buy it with her money, and she agreed. She made her very first purchase all on her own. I am not sure who was prouder, her or me!

So far, the wallet seems to be helping us teach her about money. She knows she has a savings account with money in it, but it isn't spent - she only spends what's in her wallet. Just this past week, she's been asking for less at stores, and counting her money when she does ask for things. It's a step in the right direction. It seems like the tide is turning. Additionally, since she's still learning numbers, the dollar denominations have been helping her in that area.

It seems our first attempt to thwart consumerism in our child has worked. I am curious, how do you deal with this with your children? Our daughter is still quite young, but I am interested in other ideas as she grows.

Happy football Sunday,
Iris

4 comments:

  1. Our three kids receive allowances for keeping up with their chores. $10 every two weeks and it is completely dependent on how well they complete their chores. We are really working on saving up for something. It is hard for them to do, but we ask them what the goal is and figure out how long it will take to save it up. It is a difficult task because kids love dollar store junk. My kids do anyway. Good luck with your daughter you seem to be on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother recently visited and she suggested an allowance. I was actually thinking our daughter was too young, but maybe I should reconsider. We do ask her to help out in the house (pick up her toys, keep her room clean, make her bed daily..this last one doesn't come out so hot, but she tries) so perhaps it's a good idea. I agree about the dollar store junk. She loves it. Saving for something is tough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iris,
    That is such a great idea, and you are smart to start now. It will only help her when she gets older. My younger kids are now getting to the age where they can earn $$ outside the home. My daughter is babysitting age, and my son can mow lawns. It will be totally up to them if they want to have cash. I no longer give out allowance. And that works too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we do that too! my dd is our only & she is 7 --- she is pretty much in the same boat as yours. But we have her own money & she does chores... she will get a 'base' plus get a bit for the chores she completes... some chores are mandatory and you don't get rewarded for those ;) good luck!

    ReplyDelete