Monday, November 29, 2010

One step forward...

Just when I was starting to feel like we were on the right track..

...I woke up this morning to a very sick kiddo. After a trip to the doctor, a prescription for antibiotics, and a stop at the store for over-the-counter needs I was out beaucoup dollars. (Typically I would get these funds back at the end of the week from my FSA, but I finished out my FSA dollars for the year last week!)

Then I came home to a chilly house which reminded me to check the oil tank. OOPS! Glad I looked. I thought we had a quarter tank, but the gauge was just over "E." So I called and ordered oil.

So much for that extra chunk I added to the E-fund last week. I drained the E-fund from $549 down to $199.

I'm glad I had the money but so discouraged. I can add back those funds out of my second December check but that's a long time to wait. I'm wondering if I need to keep more cash on hand - really, I shouldn't have to use emergency funds for these items, but I have been so focused on accumulating a cushion that I haven't been leaving myself much in the way of wiggle room in my budget. Sigh.

I think this is where most people who are working on debt get discouraged - it's one step forward, and two steps back. It just seems so pointless to work toward a goal when it keeps getting further away.

I'm off to list some items on Ebay to try to make a little extra cash.

Onward...

5 comments:

  1. I think that you should leave yourself a little wiggle room in your budget to allow for oil and meds for a sick kid. I know the oil is a big expense and I don't have any ideas of how to do that but I think that you should have a medical expense category. Even if you have an FSA, there are probably still little expenses that aren't covered by it. Hope your little one is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oil is typically a big expense which in years past I would just throw on a credit card and then pay off a bit at a time. That has helped me track my heating expenses, actually, because I had one certain card I used for oil. Now, I don't use cards. So I was planning on buying oil with cash out of my 2nd December check, but for some reason we have way less than I thought?

    I have started an Excel sheet for home heating oil purchases so I can track what I spend this winter on oil without using credit. Also, hopefully this will help me remember when I ordered last also so this doesn't happen again.

    I've never had a medical category in my budget. I actually was pretty proud at what I figured my FSA amount for this year since it lasted me 11 months - I budgeted pretty close to what I needed. What do you include in the medical category that isn't covered by FSA reimbursment? The only thing I can think of is OTC pain relievers. I wouldn't include health insurance premiums because for us those come out pre-tax and I figure our budget on post-tax dollars. What else could fit the medical category that the FSA doesn't cover? Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the little one feels better!

    I just found your blog, and like you, have just (re)started my PF blog, hoping this time there aren't any big bumps in the road!

    Look forward to following your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only consolation is that at least you didn't use a credit card. So you were a step ahead.
    I don't have an oil tank, but could you figure out how much it costs in a typical year than save a bit each month in a separate account? That way you aren't stung with one big huge payment.
    I guess you could do the same for medical expenses too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I know what you mean. It seems like things are going good and then "wack" - out of nowhere - this stuff happens. Keep your chin up though. You should pat yourself on the back for not resorting to a credit card :) Things will get better!

    ReplyDelete